[GRASS-user] Re: gdal 1.5 and WMS ressource --- PREVIOUSLY:How to best access hundreds of orthophotos -- mapserver as WMS server?

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:06:58 EST 2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Hi Dylan
>
> you wrote in the a previous thread that one can use gdal 1.5 directly to
> access a WMS ressource which is defined in an xml file (see snippet below).
> As 1.5 is out (and I compiled with MrSid support - works nicely by the
> way), I looked but could find no information on that feature. Could you
> please elaborate how I can use this instead of setting up a mapserver on
> localhost?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Rainer

Hi Rainer,

Yes, the new GDAL format (as also mentioned by others) is documented here:
http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html

My suggestion, as quoted below, did not include replacing a _mapserver_ (WMS
source)- rather support for WMS would allow r.in.gdal to replace r.in.wms...
or perhaps re-write r.in.wms as a wrapper to r.in.gdal by first creating the
XML config file. See http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html for details.

Cheers,

Dylan

--