[GRASS-user] gdal 1.5 and WMS ressource --- PREVIOUSLY:How to best access hundreds of orthophotos -- mapserver as WMS server?

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:10:20 EST 2008

On Thursday 03 January 2008, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 03/01/08 14:06, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > Moritz Lennert wrote:

> >> I would rather guess it was the "WMS -- Web Map Services" driver:
> >
> > Ah - now I understand. I still have to set up a WMS server, but I can
> > access it through gdal instead of using r.in.wms.
>
> Well, if you have the data directly accessible, I don't know if it is
> the most efficient way to access it via a webserver and wms. The main
> insterest of this is obviously to get data from a distant wms server...
>
> Moritz

Right. I think that within the context of the original discussion (?) the
point was access to a tiled, indexed image catalog of sorts. I had suggested
adding internal overviews to the pile of images (gdaladdo), creating a tile
index (gdaltindex), and then making the pile of images accessible via WMS
(mapserver) so that chunks of the entire virtual mosaic could be imported
into a GRASS region- either by r.in.wms (or r.in.gdal with some help).

If I get a chance to mess around with this, I will post back a worked out
example.

Cheers,

Dylan

--