[GRASS-user] Automatic generation of surface interpolation rasters

Javier Caicedo jcaicedo at cti.espol.edu.ec
Tue Jan 8 12:22:30 EST 2008

Hello all, my situation is this:
- I have a bunch of meteorological stations in a PostGIS database in latlong coordinates
- Historic precipitation data for the stations
- the user will select a subset of the stations and a given year, and the system should generate a surface interpolation raster automatically

So far, the steps I am following are this:
- create an empty mapset with an unique name, using batch processing examples that I found online.
- import the stations locations using v.in.db
- set the current region using g.region vect=stations res={res}
- link the stations map to the table holding the historic data using v.db.connect
- run v.surf.rst

So far so good, but the problem I am having is that v.surf.rst excludes the points that are at the edge of the region. So my question would be if there's a way for v.surf.rst to consider this points or otherwise make the region bigger so v.surf.rst would include them. I could use the adding options in g.region (i.e. n=n+{value}) but I would need to know the sign of the coordinates in advance.

So, if anyone has some advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Javier Caicedo