[GRASS-user] SRTM3 data export to ESRI ascii or grid -- Problem: exported file is huge!

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Jan 15 08:40:32 EST 2008

Hi list!

I have imported  (from GeoTIFF to GRASS) an SRTM3 tile (the one that
covers Switzerland) and after creating a subset ( based on following
vector-box... :

 > v.info Cadre

Projection: Swiss. Obl. Mercator (zone 0)
            N: 137742.082    S:
125477.601
            E: 504650.275    W:
495006.833
            B: 0.000         T: 0.000

...)

I am exporting it as an ESRI ASCII or ESRI grid (with a friend we want
to check correct importing/ projecting in ArcMap)

My problem is that I always get a huge ASCII file (1.2 GB!)? And the
ESRI grid is very big as well.

Any ideas on to deliver best this data for ArcMap?

Thanks,

Nikos