[GRASS-user] grass 6.2 cygwin windows desktop shortcut

brendan detracey brendandetracey at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 09:44:57 EST 2008

Hello all,
I am running grass 6.2 under cygwin on WinXP. I have followed the instructions
for a desktop shortcut
(http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass62/binary/mswindows/#icon) to a tee, but
it does not work. It does not even launch the x server. Instead I get the
following (DISPLAY replaced with X's):

Welcome to GRASS 6.2.3 (2007)
GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.itc.it/
This version running thru:               GNU Bash (Cygwin) (/usr/bin/bash.exe)
Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
If required, restart the graphical user interface with: gis.m &
When ready to quit enter:                exit
GRASS 6.2.3 (test):~ > Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk
application couldn't connect to display "XXX-XXX-XXXXX:0"
Error in startup script: dynamic loading is not currently available on this
system while executing
"load /usr/local/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.a Tk"
    ("package ifneeded" script)
    invoked from within
"package require Tk 8.0"
    ("package ifneeded" script)
    invoked from within
"package require -exact BWidget 1.2.1"
    (file "/usr/local/grass-6.2.3/etc/gm/gm.tcl" line 24)

It seems to be an issue with grass trying to start up before the x server is
ready. Any solutions to this? The info on the grass web page should also be
corrected.

Thanks,
Brendan

Brendan