[GRASS-user] grass 6.2 cygwin windows desktop shortcut

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 16 16:30:19 EST 2008

brendan detracey wrote:

> I am running grass 6.2 under cygwin on WinXP. I have followed the instructions
> for a desktop shortcut
> (http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass62/binary/mswindows/#icon) to a tee, but
> it does not work. It does not even launch the x server. Instead I get the
> following (DISPLAY replaced with X's):
>
> Welcome to GRASS 6.2.3 (2007)
> GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.itc.it/
> This version running thru:               GNU Bash (Cygwin) (/usr/bin/bash.exe)
> Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
> See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
> If required, restart the graphical user interface with: gis.m &
> When ready to quit enter:                exit
> GRASS 6.2.3 (test):~ > Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk
> application couldn't connect to display "XXX-XXX-XXXXX:0"
> Error in startup script: dynamic loading is not currently available on this
> system while executing
> "load /usr/local/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.a Tk"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require Tk 8.0"
>     ("package ifneeded" script)
>     invoked from within
> "package require -exact BWidget 1.2.1"
>     (file "/usr/local/grass-6.2.3/etc/gm/gm.tcl" line 24)
>

> It seems to be an issue with grass trying to start up before the x server is
> ready. Any solutions to this?

Does it actually start the X server at all? There should be an icon
for it in the taskbar (in the area to the left of the clock).

If the X server fails to start, anything which uses it (e.g. the GRASS
Tcl/Tk interface) will also fail.

Can you start the X server manually (e.g. by running "startx" from a
Cygwin command prompt)? Note that some firewall software may interfere
with this; the X server needs to act as a TCP server (even you use
"-nolisten tcp", as Cygwin emulates Unix-domain sockets using TCP
sockets).