[GRASS-user] grass 6.2 cygwin windows desktop shortcut

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 21:18:41 EST 2008

> brendan detracey wrote:
> > I am running grass 6.2 under cygwin on WinXP. I have followed the
> > instructions for a desktop shortcut
> > (http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass62/binary/mswindows/#icon) to
> > a tee, but it does not work. It does not even launch the x server.
> >
> > Instead I get the following (DISPLAY replaced with X's):
> >
> > Welcome to GRASS 6.2.3 (2007)
> > GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.itc.it/
> > GRASS 6.2.3 (test):~ > Application initialization failed: this
> isn't a Tk
> > application couldn't connect to display "XXX-XXX-XXXXX:0"
> > Error in startup script: dynamic loading is not currently available
> > on this system while executing
> > "load /usr/local/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.a Tk"
> >     ("package ifneeded" script)
> > It seems to be an issue with grass trying to start up before the x
> > server is ready. Any solutions to this?

Glynn:
> Does it actually start the X server at all? There should be an icon
> for it in the taskbar (in the area to the left of the clock).
>
> If the X server fails to start, anything which uses it (e.g. the
> GRASS Tcl/Tk interface) will also fail.
>
> Can you start the X server manually (e.g. by running "startx" from a
> Cygwin command prompt)? Note that some firewall software may
> interfere with this; the X server needs to act as a TCP server (even
> you use "-nolisten tcp", as Cygwin emulates Unix-domain sockets using
> TCP sockets).

the icon hint tests to see if DISPLAY is set:
/    #################
/    # Start GRASS
/    if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ] && [ -n "$GRASS_AUTOSTART" ] ; then
/       unset GRASS_AUTOSTART
/       exec grass62
/    fi

If X is not running, where does display "XXX-XXX-XXXXX:0" come from?
That looks like an odd $DISPLAY setting to me, but I don't use cygwin
much.

Hamish