[GRASS-user] About .mdb geo-data base file format... please some information about alternative file formats!

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:25:27 EST 2008

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 04:03:02 pm Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> I am (a bit) surprised that the EEA offers geo-data only in ESRI
> shapefiles and .mdb (which is, if I am not wrong, closed source format).
>
> I am willing to request an asnwer from the EEA people about "why only
> closed source" and also in other formats? Is it so much work to do?
>
> I remember there was a thread in the GRASS user list about open source
> standarts (file formats, etc).
>
> Thank you,
>
> Nikos.

Nikos,

There is a *possibility* of opening these files with a recent GDAL on
windows... apart from that accessing MDB files can be a royal pain in the
neck. Check on the GDAL mailing list and pages for ideas.

If the EEA takes your advice it would be a nice precedent set for other
agencies.

I have a sinking feeling that the NRCS (agency responsible for soil survey in
the US) will be moving all of their data into this format in the not so
distant future... Maybe now is a good time to start lobbying.

Dylan