[GRASS-user] About .mdb geo-data base file format... please some information about alternative file formats!

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 20:58:11 EST 2008

> Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> > I am (a bit) surprised that the EEA offers geo-data only in ESRI
> > shapefiles and .mdb (which is, if I am not wrong, closed source
> > format).

Well, even if it is owned by ESRI, at least the shapefile format is
well known and widely implemented in free software. (read with OGR from
gdal.org) Of course the format has its bad limitations when used with a
modern GIS so is not ideal.

> > I am willing to request an asnwer from the EEA people about "why
> > only closed source" and also in other formats? Is it so much work
> > to do?

Dylan:
> If the EEA takes your advice it would be a nice precedent set for
> other agencies.

I think when making these requests it is important not just to complain
but to point out some solution. Preferably an open format with ISO-like
support. I have no idea what the best format for that would be, or what
patents lurk within the proprietary but gdal-aware formats.

Sounds like a question for the GDAL or OSGeo lists.

Hamish