[GRASS-user] Use of r.watershed

M S mseibel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:03:31 EST 2008

If you are in a relatively flat area, there needs to be consideration given
to the algorithm (to my knowledge there is no "choice" in the ArcGIS suite)
used to do the most important thing:  delineate the watershed basin.  Since
the question was asked about differences, this may apply if your terrain is
relatively flat.

>From the r.watershed manual, "If watershed divides contain flat to low
slope, *r.watershed* will generate better basin results than *r.terraflow*.
(*r.terraflow* uses the same type of algorithm as ESRI's ArcGIS watershed
software which fails under these conditions.)"
http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass63/manuals/html63_user/r.watershed.html

Mark