[GRASS-user] Page 37 "Open Source GIS" by Neteler & Mitasova

Matt mlpublic42 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 22:23:22 EST 2008

I am having trouble creating a new project with Grass using the GUI.
Perhaps someone could clarify section 3.2 of the above book.  Let's assume I
have created /home/me/grassdata and I have downloaded the geod_pts_spm.zip
to my desktop.

click the Georeferenced file button under Define new location.  The window
which pops up asks for three inputs as the book states.  Seems simple
enough, but after trying several variations I am still unable to get it to
work.  Where do I unzip geod_pts_spm.zip before the new location is
created?  Using the mync_spm example in the book and assuming the location
of grassdata above, what do I enter for
** Name of new location
** Path to new location
** Path to georeference file?

I believe when everything is complete I should have
/home/me/grassdata/mync_spm and several folders below mync_spm, but just to
be sure could you show me what the directory structure should look like
after the location is created?

Thanks,
Matt