[GRASS-user] Page 37 "Open Source GIS" by Neteler & Mitasova

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Jan 28 04:09:36 EST 2008

Matt,

On Jan 28, 2008 4:23 AM, Matt <mlpublic42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having trouble creating a new project with Grass using the GUI.
> Perhaps someone could clarify section 3.2 of the above book.  Let's assume I
> have created /home/me/grassdata and I have downloaded the geod_pts_spm.zip
> to my desktop.

...ok... For others to test
http://www.grassbook.org/ncexternal/
->  geod_pts_spm.zip 1.4M (Geodetic points [spm])

It would be e.g.
grass63 -gui

> click the Georeferenced file button under Define new location.  The window
> which pops up asks for three inputs as the book states.  Seems simple
> enough, but after trying several variations I am still unable to get it to
> work.  Where do I unzip geod_pts_spm.zip before the new location is created?

You can unzip the file anywhere, even in /tmp/.

> Using the mync_spm example in the book and assuming the location of
> grassdata above, what do I enter for
>  ** Name of new location

mync_spm

> ** Path to new location

/home/me/grassdata

> ** Path to georeference file?

/tmp/

The file is gdc.shp, so

/tmp/gdc.shp

> I believe when everything is complete I should have
> /home/me/grassdata/mync_spm and several folders below mync_spm, but just to
> be sure could you show me what the directory structure should look like
> after the location is created?

It will create a PERMANENT directory within
/home/me/grassdata/mync_spm/

and insert some files there.

Hope this helps
Markus