[GRASS-user] SHELL variable not set

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon Jan 28 12:15:10 EST 2008

Hello,

unfortunately I added 'rm .* ' instead of a 'rm $variable.*' in a GRASS
script, hence I had to setup a new user account but when starting grass63 as
the new user I get:

sh-3.1$ grass63
Cleaning up temporary files.....
Starting GRASS ...
GISDBASE='/data1/grassdb_africa';
LOCATION_NAME='HI';
MAPSET='nlm';
ERROR: The SHELL variable is not set

I never encountered it when installing Linux/GRASS for the first time, I
searched a bit and found some GRASS shell scripts with this error message but
I couldn't find a hint how to fix that.

Is is a GRASS or Linux specific problem? Any idea which SHELL variable I have
to set? And how to do so?

Martin

P.S.:using 6.3 cvs access hence pretty "old" and Debian testing GRASS version