[GRASS-user] SHELL variable not set

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Jan 28 15:20:16 EST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 6:15 PM, Martin Wegmann
<wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> unfortunately I added 'rm .* ' instead of a 'rm $variable.*' in a GRASS
> script, hence I had to setup a new user account but when starting grass63 as
> the new user I get:
>
> sh-3.1$ grass63
> Cleaning up temporary files.....
> Starting GRASS ...
> GISDBASE='/data1/grassdb_africa';
> LOCATION_NAME='HI';
> MAPSET='nlm';
> ERROR: The SHELL variable is not set
>
> I never encountered it when installing Linux/GRASS for the first time, I
> searched a bit and found some GRASS shell scripts with this error message but
> I couldn't find a hint how to fix that.
>
> Is is a GRASS or Linux specific problem? Any idea which SHELL variable I have
> to set? And how to do so?

I am afraid that this is a local problem:

The relevant bit is in the start script:
# check for SHELL
if [ ! -x "$SHELL" ] ; then
    echo "ERROR: The SHELL variable is not set" 1>&2
    rm -f "$lockfile"
    rm -rf "$tmp"  # remove session files from tmpdir
    exit 1
fi

The $SHELL variable is set when you login: example:

[neteler at localhost ~]$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

IMHO something is still messed up with your user account.

Markus