[GRASS-user] creating new geometry from pre-existing lines and points

David Epstein davideps at umich.edu
Wed Jan 30 16:52:45 EST 2008

Hi Nikos,

Thank you for that suggestion. Indeed, I did NOT realize that v.extract
was used to create new geometry in a layer. However, I too need some of
the islands (is there a technical difference between island, hole, and
missing polygon?).

There is a single missing polygon that I now have attribute data for and
I want to create the polygon (from the existing points and lines) and
fill-in the related attribute fields.

I imagined some sort of interactive process of clicking on the relevant
bounding elements and *presto* the polygon would jump into existence. I
tried this in v.digit but was not able to get the desired result.

This is a really basic step that people do several times a day, right?

-david