[GRASS-user] Building wxgrass vdigit

Craig Leat craig at pid.co.za
Thu Jan 31 07:00:20 EST 2008

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Once you've built GRASS, build vdigit manually. The 6.3RC* Makefiles
> don't know that the vdigit directory is there, so they won't try to
> build it.

Hi Glynn

I understand the need to build vdigit on its own if using 6.3RC*, but my
last few attempts have been with 6.3.SVN of 28 Jan 2008. The build
process is somehow broken because I can build the whole of GRASS without
config or make errors and I find afterwards that the directory:
/usr/local/src/grass_trunk_28012008/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/wx/vdigit
is empty. If I can't build vdigit along with the rest of GRASS I should
really give up at that point because I don't have the know how to build
vdigit on its own. Nevertheless you offered advice and so I tried to
follow it, filling in the gaps as best I could.

So proceeding from the point of a compiled 6.3.SVN with working wxgrass
gui, but no vdigit I populated the empty ./etc/wx/vdigit directory. Next
I created the
/usr/local/src/grass_trunk_28012008/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/libgdi.so
symbolic link and finally executed make in the directory:
/usr/local/src/grass_trunk_28012008/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/wx/vdigit.
Make failed with the following excerpt from the messages:
/usr/local/src/grass_trunk_28012008/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/include/grass/glocale.h:12:1:
warning: this is the location of the previous definition
make: *** No rule to make target `OBJ.i686-pc-linux-gnu/select.o',
needed by `grass6_wxvdigit.so'.  Stop.

Don't worry about providing me with further advice on this particular
problem (other advice always appreciated :-) ); wxgrass is an interest
not a requirement. I need to be able to build vdigit along with the rest
of GRASS, so fixing the top-level build mechanism will IMHO be better
than trying to help me patch a broken installation.

Best regards

Craig.