[GRASS-user] ps.map dilemma

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jul 3 06:26:24 EDT 2008

On 03/07/08 09:16, Christian Ferreira wrote:
> Hi,
>

> While the core developers decide about the future for ps.map... I will
> keep my idea for a cookbook going, since the "GRASS version upgrade
> rate" for users can take months to years. And considering that GRASS
> 6.4 is not out, seems that GRASS 7 final will be out in 2009/2010.
>
> Then... for some users, grass 7 is years away...
>
> Also, I not a developer... so, my focus is not so much into the
> future... but in the actual situation... the potential users and
> newbie users that GRASS lose every year because of ps.map. Specially
> for those people, the cookbook is necessary.
>
> Thomas Adams is with me... who else?

See
http://geog-pc40.ulb.ac.be/grass/psmap/

for two ps.map files and the resulting map, showing thematic mapping,
proportionate circles and patterns. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost
the pattern files I used...

Once I have some time, I'll try to contribute some more, possibly about
using R to create symbols which you can then integrate with the eps '$'
option in vpoints (see ages.png as an example, but can't find the psmap
file right now :-( )

Moritz