[GRASS-user] ps.map dilemma

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jul 3 10:12:05 EDT 2008

On 03/07/08 15:56, Hamish wrote:
> FYI, I've added some more hints & tricks to the wiki page:
>   http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Ps.map_scripts
>

> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> See http://geog-pc40.ulb.ac.be/grass/psmap/
>>
>> for two ps.map files and the resulting map, showing thematic mapping,
>> proportionate circles and patterns. Unfortunately, I seem
>> to have lost the pattern files I used...
>
> Look in $GISBASE/etc/paint/patterns/

Yes, but I customized them slightly for my needs and I think I must have
erased those customised versions...

>> Once I have some time, I'll try to contribute some
>> more, possibly about using R to create symbols which you can then
>> integrate with the eps '$' option in vpoints (see ages.png as an
>> example, but can't find the psmap file right now :-( )
>
> Nice bar graphs -> lets you do d.vect.chart magic with ps.map.

Yep, actually much more than d.vect.chart since you can create any form
you want (have also worked with triangles)...

> how to set up an accurate bubble plot legend?

I create a new vector point map (belscale in the psmap files) with the
points placed at the spot where I would like the legend. Then it
suffices to update the values in the attribute table to relevant values
related to your map and to display this 'map' just like the real one...

One thing that still bothers me with bubble plot is the lack of the
possibility to sort the bubbles so that you are sure to have the largest
in the back...

But I would like to work on all this for a new d.thematic.points...when
I have time again.

Moritz