[GRASS-user] .gislock problem

Christian Braun christian.braun at tudor.lu
Mon Jul 7 09:13:48 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

I am a colleague of Jessica who posted before this:
http://www.nabble.com/GRASS-BATCH-JOBS-to17470510.html#a17475609

We are using GRASS in an interactive website to calculate on-the-fly maps
which are then presented to the user. It is not really a WebGIS-Client and
it doesn't aim to be one. We tested also pyWPS but the script was there
before and it was to complicated to adept the needs of pyWPS.

As we are running GRASS in a "multiuser" web environment we need a
workaround to treat different contemporary users. We decided then to create
a bash workaround to solve this:
First we encountered that GRASS in batchmode is not writing the .gislock
file, but it writes in normal interactive mode with the same user used.
In the next step we tested if we can then run two instances of the same
script in the same mapset and it worked.

We can not find the issue why this is working. Currently we are in the
testing phase and the project will be online soon, so we have to be sure
what GRASS is doing with .gislock and all related staff to avoid problems
with concurrent users.

Currently we are using Ubuntu 7.04 with packages of Jachym (GRASS 6.2).
These will be updated to Hardy and GRASS 6.3 before release.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Christian

Dipl. Geogr. Christian Braun
Tel: +352- 425991-608
Mobil: +49-179-6845896
Mail: christian.braun at tudor.lu

*** www.crte.lu ***

Resource Centre for Environmental Technologies,
Public Research Centre Henri Tudor,
Technoport Schlassgoart,
66 rue de Luxembourg,
P.O. BOX 144,