[GRASS-user] Importing .tiff values

Jana K. jkrajc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 05:05:40 EDT 2008

Hello, could someone help me, please?

I am rather new in grass, so far I've succeeded making basic operations like
creating locations, mapsets, importing maps, converting projections, etc.

I have downloaded european landuse file which is in TIFF format. Unzipping
produced several files, besides the .tiff, with these extensions: .tfw,
.aux, .tif.xml, .prj and a .xls file containing a legend. Data in the map
are categorical, the legend contains reference of each category to a
particular r:g:b color in the map.

I successfully imported the map to a new location, where I set projection
manually using the g.setproj, using info in .prj file. I displayed the map
and it seemed OK.

Now, HERE IS MY PROBLEM:
I used r.cats to find out what are the categories in the raster file
resulting from the .tiff import. It gave me 44 categories from 1 to 44,
apparently with no labels attached. I suppose the labels need to be attached
somehow manually, although I don't know how yet. However, the bigger problem
seems to be the fact that the .xls legend file contains r:g:b values and I
don't know how to attach them to the 44 categories to the 44 r:g:b values in
the .xls legend file.
MY QUESTIONS:
Is there a way in grass to get information on which color corresponds to
which category?
How does r.in.ogr use the info contained in files other than .tiff, .tfw,
coming in the bundle, or does it use it at all?

Jana