[GRASS-user] dyld: Library not loaded

Dwight Needels needels at translucida.com
Fri Jul 11 12:03:42 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I get an error when I try to run v.in.gpsbabel...

v.in.gpsbabel -t input=/Users/dwight/t_Westfield.gpx output=Westfield
format=gpx

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/gpsbabel
  Reason: image not found
/Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/scripts/v.in.gpsbabel: line 283:
27874 Trace/BPT trap
 gpsbabel $TYPE -i $GIS_OPT_FORMAT $GPSdevice $PROGVERBOSE -o gpx -F
"$TMP".gpx
ERROR: Error loading data from gpsbabel

I have done this in the past without any problem, but four things that have
changed since the last time I tried are: (1) upgraded to GRASS version 6.3,
(2) switched from Lorenzo¹s binary to William Kyngesburye¹s, (3) upgraded to
GPSBabel 1.3.5 and (4) switched to use SQLite instead of DBF.

>From within a GRASS session, attempts to use gpsbabel to convert a track to
a route fail with the same dyld: Library not loaded message, but not if I
use an explicit path to my installed version of gpsbabel. It is in my PATH,
and works fine if I run it from a fresh Terminal session. Does this mean it
is an issue with gpsbabel within the GRASS package?

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

GRASS 6.3cvs
gpsbabel 1.3.5
Macintosh PPC