[GRASS-user] grass 6.3.0 solaris 10 install errors

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jul 15 00:38:34 EDT 2008

Brian Clark wrote:

Ugh; please don't post HTML-only mail to the list.

> After a server change, we've attempted to install the latest greatest
> GRASS -<br>
> However, we keep getting multiple errors referring to "No such file or
> directory". I've searched around a little, but haven't found a recent
> thread on the subject.<br>
> We're running solaris 10 <br>
> attempting with:<br>
> configure --with-postgres=no --with-opengl=no --with-fftw=no
> --with-tcltk=no -with-includes=/usr/local/include/ncurses<br>
> error.log list is long and looks like:<br>
> -/GRASS/grass-6.3.0/db/drivers/dbf<br>

Why the "-/GRASS/..."?

What is the actual source directory?

Does it help if you specify the complete path to the configure script?

Essentially, when you run configure, it will print the source and
build directories, like:

: GRASS is now configured for:  i686-pc-linux-gnu
:
:   Source directory:            /usr/local/src/grass/svn
:   Build directory:             /usr/local/src/grass/svn

Both directories should be the same (out-of-place builds don't work at
present), and should be absolute paths (i.e. begin with "/").

It may help to specify an absolute path to the configure script, and
it may help to specify the --srcdir= argument, e.g.:

	`pwd`/configure --srcdir=`pwd` ...

> If i cd to first directory mentioned and try make, I get:<br>

> gcc -I-/GRASS/grass-6.3.0/dist.sparc-sun-solaris2.10/include

This -I switch is likely to be the problem. gcc interprets -I- (i.e. a
minus immediately following a -I switch) to mean to remove that
directory from the header search path.

The end result is that gcc cannot find the GRASS header files,
resulting in:

> column.c:20:24: grass/dbmi.h: No such file or directory<br>

and so on.