[GRASS-user] grass 6.3.0 solaris 10 install errors

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jul 17 02:29:32 EDT 2008

Brian Clark wrote:

> > I suspect that lib/gis/Makefile needs $(SOCKLIB) added to EXTRA_LIBS:
> >
> > -EXTRA_LIBS = $(XDRLIB) $(DATETIMELIB) $(INTLLIB) $(MATHLIB)
> > +EXTRA_LIBS = $(XDRLIB) $(SOCKLIB) $(DATETIMELIB) $(INTLLIB) $(MATHLIB)
> >

> Thanks Glynn -
> I changed the Makefile for lib/gis/, and moved on to next error....
> first in the list was /lib/db/sqlp
> ->make
> mkdir -p /wattemp/GRASS/grass-6.3.0/dist.sparc-sun-solaris2.10/docs/html
> ../.././install-sh -c  -m 644 description.html
> /wattemp/GRASS/grass-6.3.0/dist.sparc-sun-solaris2.10/docs/html/sql.html
> make: ../.././install-sh: Command not found

Ack. The way that autoconf handles the install-sh script is broken. It
sets the INSTALL variable to a relative path, relative to the
directory containing the file in which INSTALL is substituted.

If you're generating each directory's Makefile from a Makefile.in,
this works fine, but GRASS' Makefiles include these definitions from
include/Make/Platform.make. So, configure defines INSTALL relative to
include/Make/Platform.make, so it doesn't work if you are more or less
than two levels deep.

You can get around this by manually setting INSTALL to an absolute
path, e.g.:

	make INSTALL=`pwd`/install-sh

Also, the Makefile was setting incorrect permissions on install-sh
(744 instead of 755), so it was only executable for the owner.