[GRASS-user] How to create a location and mapset programatically? (Using scritp). And then import MapInfo a vector map.

Nithi, Nachi K (Karun) karun at research.bell-labs.com
Thu Jul 17 17:57:56 EDT 2008

Dear All,
   I hope I am not repeating something already been answered.

Environment:  I have grass621 on a redhat linux.

I have two questions:

Q1. I want to create a location and a mapset via a shell script. I can
create it by invoking grass in a text mode (or gui interface mode) and
then stepping through several screeens (location , mapset input in the
1st screen, projection in the next screen, bounding box for the region
in the 3rd screen and so on). I am wondering whether it is possible to
do all in a script by invoking a set of commands. If so what should be
the sequence of commands.

Q2:  Once I create a location and mapset I want to import a vactor map
expoted from MapInfo as .MIF and .MID files. Here we can use v.in.ogr.
But will it have any issues with region deifnition? DO I have to
explicitly specify region before importing MapInfo data?

Thanks in advance,
-Karun