[GRASS-user] dyld: Library not loaded

Dwight Needels needels at translucida.com
Thu Jul 17 21:53:29 EDT 2008

William, thanks for your reply.

on 7/16/08 10:44 PM, William Kyngesburye at woklist at kyngchaos.com wrote:

> Sorry, I missed your first message.  I realize that I include gpsbabel
> 1.3.4 in my GRASS, though 1.3.5 is in my todo list.  I don't think
> v.in.gpsbabel has a problem, it's gpsbabel itself.
>
> When you say you updated to gpsbabel 1.3.5, where did you get it or
> did you compile from source?

I downloaded the installer from gpsbabel.org (for Tiger and Leopard).

> It almost looks like you got a gpsbabel binary that was compiled on
> Leopard (10.5) - Leopard includes /usr/lib/libexpat, but Tiger does
> not.  Also, it looks like you replaced the gpsbabel in my GRASS binary
> with your updated one.

I did not (intentionally) replace your version of gosbabel in the GRASS
binary. My recollection of events is that 1) I upgraded to Lorenazo's GRASS
version 6,3,0 from an older version, 2) I updated to the gpsbabel.org
GPSBabel 1.3.5, and 3) I installed your 6.3.0-1 (Tiger).

> The gpsbabel I include in my GRASS binary has libexpat built into it
> so there is no need to worry about that.  Try restoring my gpsbabel,
> or is there a specific need for the new 1.3.5?

I do not have a specific need for GPSBabel 1.3.5. I deleted the installer
receipt for your GRASS version and reinstalled 6.3.0-1 [same problem]. I
then downloaded and installed your 6.3.0-2 [same problem]. I also tried
commenting the gpsbabel path out of my $PATH statement [same problem].

When I view the contents of your GRASS package, the version of gpsbabel has
a modification date of 7/3/08 (8:15p). The version 1.3.5 from gpsbabel.org
has a modification date of 5/4/08.

I only get the dyld library error when I use GPSBabel from within GRASS
without an explicit path; it works fine when I use an explicit path to the
gps.babel.org version or when I use a fresh (non-GRASS) Terminal session.

> On Jul 16, 2008, at 9:06 PM, Dwight Needels wrote:
>
>> on 7/11/08 12:03 PM, Dwight  Needels at needels at translucida.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I get an error when I try to run v.in.gpsbabel...
>>>
>>> v.in.gpsbabel -t input=/Users/dwight/t_Westfield.gpx output=Westfield
>>> format=gpx

>>> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib
>>> Referenced from: /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/
>>> gpsbabel
>>> Reason: image not found
>>> /Applications/GRASS-6.3.app/Contents/MacOS/scripts/v.in.gpsbabel:
>>> line 283:
>>> 27874 Trace/BPT trap
>>> gpsbabel $TYPE -i $GIS_OPT_FORMAT $GPSdevice $PROGVERBOSE -o gpx -F
>>> "$TMP".gpx
>>> ERROR: Error loading data from gpsbabel
>>>
>>> I have done this in the past without any problem, but four things
>>> that have
>>> changed since the last time I tried are: (1) upgraded to GRASS
>>> version 6.3,
>>> (2) switched from Lorenzo¹s binary to William Kyngesburye¹s, (3)
>>> upgraded to
>>> GPSBabel 1.3.5 and (4) switched to use SQLite instead of DBF.
>>>
>>> From within a GRASS session, attempts to use gpsbabel to convert a
>>> track to a
>>> route fail with the same dyld: Library not loaded message, but not
>>> if I use an
>>> explicit path to my installed version of gpsbabel. It is in my
>>> PATH, and works
>>> fine if I run it from a fresh Terminal session. Does this mean it
>>> is an issue
>>> with gpsbabel within the GRASS package?
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how I can fix this?
>>>
>>> GRASS 6.3cvs
>>> gpsbabel 1.3.5
>>> Macintosh PPC
>>> MacOS X 10.4.11
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -Dwight
>>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get g.in.gpsbabel to work?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Dwight

> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
> particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
> over. That is my duty."
>
> "Don't you even hate 'em?"
>
> "What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
> the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
> ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."
>
> <Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."
>
> - Tarzan, on war

Any other ideas? Thanks, -Dwight