[GRASS-user] new user setting up a new mapset/project

ivan marchesini marchesini at unipg.it
Mon Jul 21 06:52:48 EDT 2008

hi

> So when I set up the project, which coord should I use?

You must create two location: the first one UTM WGS84 and the second one
long/lat WGS84

you import your long/lat data into the proper location and then you can
use v.proj or r.proj to reproject them into the UTM WGS84 location

another solution is to use gdalwarp or ogr2ogr.... but could be hard if
you are just starting to learn foss4g softwares..

> When I went to use UTM, I did not understand how to get the north,
> south, east, west info. Grass did not like the tiff, and associated
> tfw for the base map.

grass imports tiff files...
 you must use the --o option (override projection) to import data with
r.in.gdall

> using Ubuntu, Grass 6.3

hope this helps...

> Thanks,
> Tom

Ivan

Ti prego di cercare di non inviarmi files .dwg, .doc, .xls, .ppt.
Preferisco formati liberi.
Please try to avoid to send me .dwg, .doc, .xls, .ppt files.
I prefer free formats.
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formato_aperto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_format

Ivan Marchesini