[GRASS-user] new user setting up a new mapset/project

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Jul 21 10:48:12 EDT 2008

On 21/07/08 05:28, mtnbiketrail at zzz.com wrote:

> When I went to use UTM, I did not understand how to get the north,
> south, east, west info. Grass did not like the tiff, and associated
> tfw for the base map.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Grass did not like the tiff",
i.e. exact command used and error message received ?

Many geotiffs are georeferenced (hence the tfw file), but do not contain
any information about the projection system they are in.

But you can create the location with an extension of 1 in both
directions and then use the r.in.gdal '-e' flag to extend the default
location extension to the extension of your file.

On 21/07/08 12:52, ivan marchesini wrote:

> grass imports tiff files... you must use the --o option (override
> projection) to import data with r.in.gdal

I've seen too much abuse of this option to let a general statement like
this pass: only if you are sure that the file is in the same projection
system as your location, but, for example, it does not contain any
information about its system, then use '-o'. In any other case don't,
but rather investigate about the (possible) differences in projection
systems...

Moritz