[GRASS-user] Re: import a folder full of shapefiles and reproject on-the-fly?

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Thu Jul 24 04:21:26 EDT 2008

Hello,
thanks very much for answering.

> > So, normally, if you don't give a layer all the shapefiles in the
> > directory (dsn=) will be imported.
>
> Note this loads the Shapefiles as *layers* (in the GRASS meaning of it)
> of a single output vector map. Not necessarily what one might want.
That means that they would get imported as patched tiles?
That's exactly what I want.

Here is my workflow

1) import all landcovers in the UTM location=> v.in.ogr
2) patch all landcover tiles => v.patch in=list_of_tiles out=tiles_all
3) import the tiles_all into the lat/lon location

Can this be done more efficiently?

> > You will, however, need a loop for the v.proj step...
>
> ogr2ogr is more convenient than going through a temporary location
> creation, Shapefile import and reprojection with v.proj, IMHO. Much less
> work.

If I want to change the projection of the lat/lon location with g.setproj do I
also need to reporject all layers inside that location?

Thanks and regards,
Timmie