[GRASS-user] Show Satellite images

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 07:57:47 EDT 2008

Ivan wrote:
> I'm new to Grass and I'm wondering if its possible
> to visualize satellite image's having extension .XTIF.
> This format is produced by 2met developed by vcs.
> Unfortunately I do not have 2met to have the images saved
> into another format.
> If importing was feasible, how should I proceed?

I am not familiar with 2met / vcs / .xtif, but in general GRASS will handle any raster binary format which is known to GDAL:

http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

So a first step is to run "gdalinfo filename.xtif" and see if it can recognize it. I might guess that ".xtif" could mean "extended tiff", so it might be a GeoTiff with some extra metadata giving instructions on how to proceed.

Hamish