[GRASS-user] Show Satellite images

Rocabado Ivan Ivan.Rocabado at Soresma.be
Tue Jun 10 06:12:49 EDT 2008

Thanks Hamisch,

Following your suggestion I tried gdalinfo but it complains that the extension is unknown. The formats list available in the GDAL site does not include the one I need. I presume that there is no hope in that direction.

I'm further experimenting with r.in.bin that kind of seems to read binaries. I know that my binary has got a header comprising N lines and the image (probably 2bytes/pixel) follows just after. In the dialog window I do not seem to find a way of telling the importer to skip the first N lines.
Any suggestions?

Thank you very much

Ivan Rocabado

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Hamish [mailto:hamish_b at yahoo.com]
Verzonden: maandag 9 juni 2008 13:58
Aan: 'grass-user at lists.osgeo.org'; Rocabado Ivan
Onderwerp: Re: [GRASS-user] Show Satellite images

Ivan wrote:
> I'm new to Grass and I'm wondering if its possible
> to visualize satellite image's having extension .XTIF.
> This format is produced by 2met developed by vcs.
> Unfortunately I do not have 2met to have the images saved
> into another format.
> If importing was feasible, how should I proceed?

I am not familiar with 2met / vcs / .xtif, but in general GRASS will handle any raster binary format which is known to GDAL:

http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

So a first step is to run "gdalinfo filename.xtif" and see if it can recognize it. I might guess that ".xtif" could mean "extended tiff", so it might be a GeoTiff with some extra metadata giving instructions on how to proceed.

Hamish