[GRASS-user] Northern Italy , Stradivari research , Flora

andrea giacomelli pibinko at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 08:32:23 EDT 2008

Hello Mustafa -

1. where are you writing from ?

2. cheap or free is not the same. depending on the context under which
your project is to take place, you may be ok with "cheap" data, or
free data, or you may be ok with paying a lot. but free would be great
if the source you are fetching imagery is public.

3. I would be very interested in knowing the connection which brought
you from Stradivari to sedimentary analysis of rivers, as I am aware
of some research groups in Italy who are investigating about
Stradivari having initiated their quest from applied
hydrology...possibly there is a link between your activity and the
groups I am talking about. I don't want to get off-topic, so we may
talk privately about this.

4. Worldwind (worldwind.arc.nasa.gov) or the OpenAerialMap project
(openaerialmap.org) could be some starting points for your imagery,
while we wait in Italy to better define terms of use for more accurate
local sources (you could still check www.atlanteitaliano.it for one of
the main national sources - but you won't be allowed to use those data
without a commercial agreement which is clearly detailed in the web
site).

As you mention Cremona, from www.regione.lombardia.it you can also
access (for view purposes only, as far as "free" goes, other aerial
imagery of the Cremona area or its surroundings.

5. Please keep us posted on the developments of your research: if you
can give us news by october, we may cite your experience in upcoming
events on awareness raising on free/open source geogrpahic software
(and data).

Andrea Giacomelli - aka pibinko
vice president for GFOSS.it/Italian OSGEO Chapter - http://www.gfoss.it
http://www.pibinko.org