[GRASS-user] v.rast.stats and Lidar data

Wesley Roberts wroberts at csir.co.za
Thu Jun 19 10:10:06 EDT 2008

Hi Andy and Hamish,

Thanks for the help, I am starting to get things going...almost. I am having trouble with the 'awk' command. After some fiddling with the command you suggested I have managed to run it with indifferent results. Here is the command I am using.

cat Area45TestNon-Ground.xyz | r.what in=grd_dtm | awk 'BEGIN {FS = "|"}; {print $1, $2, $3, $4, $3-$4}' > Area45CanopyHeight.xyz

I generated grd_dtm using v.surf.rst. Area45TestNon-Ground.xyz contains the non-ground returns for my tile. I had to add the FS and BEGIN command to split the records as the original identified the x, y, z columns only as $1 and thus z could not be used to calculate height. r.what returns the raster value at each point no problem. My issue begins when I print the various columns to Area45CanopyHeight.xyz. If I print only $3 I get the original z values and my fourth column intensity together (Shouldnt FS take care of this). Strangely my output Area45CanopyHeight.xyz has the raster values and the difference i.e. canopy height, all should then be well. However when I try use v.in.ascii on a portion of the data (to save time, still testing) I get the following error.

Maximum input row length: 39
Maximum number of columns: 4
Minimum number of columns: 2

z column number > minimum last column number
(incorrect field separator?)

Where am I going wrong? I think it has to do with 'awk' command and I know this list is for GRASS but I thought you guys may be able to help me out. I have specified space as column separator.

If I open Area45CanopyHeight.xyz using GEDIT the data are formatted as follows

-73119.090 -3302000.060 1038.310 0.0

1038.0426025391 0.267397
-73119.100 -3302000.060 1038.270 0.0

1038.0380859375 0.231914
-73001.800 -3302078.460 1023.450 0.0

1022.9335327148 0.516467
-73006.690 -3302075.130 1024.060 0.0

1023.5599365234 0.500063
-73000.920 -3302020.790 1033.830 0.0

1033.3255615234 0.504438
-73008.000 -3302019.730 1034.740 0.0

1034.205078125 0.534922

Many thanks for your help.

Wesley

Wesley Roberts MSc.
Researcher: Forest Assessment (Remote Sensing & GIS)
Forestry and Forest Products Research Centre
CSIR
Tel: +27 (31) 242-2353
Fax: +27 (31) 261-1216
http://ffp.csir.co.za/

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."
- Chinese proverb
>>> "andrew haywood" <ahaywood3 at gmail.com> 06/18/08 11:56 PM >>>
Hi Wesley,

as Hamish points out r.in.xyz is the way to go. I have been working with
large lidar data files over forest for a couple of months now and find the
intersection between the ground and the vegetation to create the Digital
Canopy Height Model - quite time consuming. Here is my basic workflow

# read in the ground using v.in.ascii with topology turned off
v.in.ascii -tzbr input=grd.txt  output=grd_pts x=2 y=3 z=4 fs=" "
# create the ground surface using v.surf.rast (this is useful when you have
irregularly spaced strikes under dense canopies)
v.surf.rst grd_pts elev=grd_dtm npmin=120 segmax=25 layer=0

# create a flat vegetation file with non-ground strikes intersecting the DTM
(this can be quite time consuming)
# I use awk to calculate the difference between the canopy elevation and
ground elevation = canopy height
cat AreaThreeNonGround.xyz  | r.what in=grd_dtm | awk 'print $1, $2, $3, $4,
$5, $3-$5)' | veg.txt

#I then use r.in.xyz to calculate statistics of binned data from the flat
vegetation file
g.region res=10
#calculate the mean vegetation height greater than 0.5m for a 10m cell
r.in.xyz input=veg.txt output=mean_10m method=mean type=FCELL fs='|' x=1 y=2
z=6 zrange=0.5,200 percent=100
#calculate the 90th vegetation height percentile
r.in.xyz input=veg.txt output=mean_p90_10m method=percentile pth=90
type=FCELL fs='|' x=1 y=2 z=6 zrange=0.5,200 percent=100

## I think the r.in.xyz has most of the statistics that you would like to
use.
## reading in the point cloud into R can be quite memory intensive
## but it is fun to do

cheers

Andy