[GRASS-user] OpenOSX Grass: x11 installed but not found!

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Jun 22 01:27:22 EDT 2008

On Jun 21, 2008, at 6:50 PM, backspaces wrote:

> Would you agree that's the "bet" here?  If Frameworks do indeed
> work, then I
> should prefer using them but if they don't work as well as they
> should, I
> should use the all-in-one?

Versioning in OSX libraries and frameworks works.  They're really very
similar.

Basically, it's a choice of installing one package or a bunch of extra
dependencies.  And how well they are kept up to date.  And...

> It would be nice to have the presumed ability to
> use all the GRASS components (GDAL etc) by them selves as well as
> within
> GRASS.

... being able to use the dependencies on their own.  Which really
depends on how they are packaged.  Usually an all-in-one will bundle
just the bare necessities for the main application.  Even external
dependencies (framework or otherwise) don't have to include all the
extra bits (and a framework is mainly a library, so extra utilities
are often left out).  That said, I do include all the extra utilities
within my framework builds.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin