[GRASS-user] Raster to vector conversions

Wesley Roberts wroberts at csir.co.za
Mon Jun 23 11:39:03 EDT 2008

Hi All,

Please could someone explain how one converts a raster to a vector and transfers the raster data to the vector as an attribute.

I have a 1063 * 1566 raster image (using r.in.xyz I calculated the density of Lidar points in a 4m cell). I would now like to convert the raster to a point vector data set with Lidar density as an attribute. I have tried all different combinations of r.to.vect and have not had any luck. Basically I have 13 rasters (Lidar metrics and Ikonos imagery) that I would like to convert to vectors and then combine into one file which will then be used in R to look at the relationships between LiDAR height metrics and Ikonos reflectance.

I know I can use v.patch to combine them all but I am yet to get the raster values into a point data set where each point represents one pixel in the image?

Many thanks

Wesley

Wesley Roberts MSc.
Researcher: Forest Assessment (Remote Sensing & GIS)
Forestry and Forest Products Research Centre
CSIR
Tel: +27 (31) 242-2353
Fax: +27 (31) 261-1216
http://ffp.csir.co.za/

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."
- Chinese proverb