[GRASS-user] Determining number of overlapping features per location after import of shape file

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 04:32:46 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Is there another way of getting the number of overlapping features
>> per cell?
>
> Hi,
>
> maybe this helps- you can try Radim's example from the vector screenshots page. (see GRASS 6.0 "Overlapping polygons" section)
>
> http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/vector.php
>
> Yes, funny place for tutorial material, but it demos some functionality.

Thanks Hamish - I found that one alredy, but it does not work:

OK - her is what I did:

> v.category  input=fire_p output=fire_c type=centroid  option=add --o  <<-- option field=2 does not exist any more?
WARNING: Vector map <fire_c> already exists and will be overwritten
Building topology ...
3901 primitives registered
Building areas:  100%
1220 areas built
54 isles built
Attaching islands:  100%
Attaching centroids:  100%
Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   2735
Number of primitives:   3901
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   2746
Number of centroids :   1155
Number of areas     :   1220
Number of isles     :   54
Number of areas without centroid :   65
[Raster MASK present]

> echo "create table fire_c_2 (id int, num int)" | db.execute

> v.db.connect map=fire_c driver=dbf layer=2 table=fire_c_2 key=id -o
The table <fire_c_2> is now part of vector map <fire_c> and may be deleted
or overwritten by GRASS modules
[Raster MASK present]

 > v.to.db map=fire_c layer=2 option=cat col=id  <<-- option col1=
changed to col=
Updating database...
 100%
7 categories read from map
0 records selected from table
0 categories read from map exist in selection from table
6 categories read from map don't exist in selection from table
6 records updated/inserted
0 update/insert errors
[Raster MASK present]

 > v.to.db map=fire_c layer=2 qlayer=1 option=query column=num
qcolumn="count(*)" type=centroid <<-- option col1= changed to column=
 qcol= to qcolumn=
Reading data from the map...
 100%
Querying database...
DBMI-DBF driver error:
SQL parser error:
in statement:
SELECT count(*) FROM ...
Error in db_open_select_cursor()

I guess this is a problem with the dbf database? Is there any way of
solving this in dbf?

Rainer

> Hamish

Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)