[GRASS-user] Is the SRTM dataset a DEM or a DSM?

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 22:41:09 EDT 2008

IMO its a DEM, since the "z" value represents elevation, including
tree canopy and urban features. I personally don't like the term DSM
because it can be related with any kind of Surface, and DEM (and DTM,
when the "z" values represent the altitude) is related with the
_topographical_ surface.

cheers

Carlos

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 15:31, Nikos Alexandris
<nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> In http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SRTMdataProcessingMethodology.asp it's
> called only DEM. In some papers it's called DSM.
>
> I'd rather say it's a DSM. But I would also like to know if there are
> objections ;-)
>
> Thank you,
>
> Nikos

 Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
 Geologist M.Sc - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721 - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke

Can't stop the signal.