[GRASS-user] removal of duplicate points

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 13:50:16 EST 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008, G. Allegri wrote:
> What's wrong with v.out.ascii? Couldn't you export and then remove
> duplicate points by checking the coordinates? To avoid checking both X and
> Y, these could be summed, so a single check would be enough.
>
> giovanni

I guess v.out.ascii | v.in.ascii isn't so bad afterall. I was hoping for a
more general approach that didn't involve the loss of the associated
attribute table. In this case, I only need a simple ID, so the final
incantation looked something like:

v.to.points -v -i in=blocks_1 out=b1p dmax=75 --o
v.to.points -v -i in=blocks_2 out=b2p dmax=75 --o

# patch them together:
v.patch in=b1p,b2p out=vp --o
v.build vp

# remove duplicate points
# new file does not have an attribute table
v.out.ascii vp | sort -g | uniq | v.in.ascii -t out=veg_points

# add attribute table:
v.db.addtable veg_points

# cleanup
g.remove vect=b1p,b2p,vp

# export to shapefile:
v.out.ogr -e in=veg_points type=point dsn=veg_points.shp

And this got the job done. I wonder how hard it would be to add a similar
functionality to v.edit-- which would preserve the attribute table.

Cheers,

Dylan