[GRASS-user] Unable to import some raster and vector type maps

Eric & Elga eegaba at terra.com.br
Tue Mar 11 16:29:50 EDT 2008

> GRASS is quite usable on Windows without MinGW/Msys: they aren't a
> requirement for running the bulk of GRASS modules which are written in C,
> nor for the startup or GUI (gis.m) which are written in Tcl - but a few
> modules are written in Bourne shell script and will not run without a
> bourne shell interpreter, which is not available on Windows. Unfortunately
> you've managed come across two such modules...

@ Marco : Yes, a Linux installation might be the best solution for me, but
as I'm also writing tutorials for Wikipedia in order for other mapmakers to
draw maps using DEMs (which is pretty new there), I'm looking for a free
multi-OS and graphical solution, easily usable by most of the contributors
there. Until now I used 3DEM and a limited version of Global Mapper, both
only for Windows and with serious limitations. Microdem didn't satisfy me
regarding the re-projection possibilities and GMT seems to be the hell to
use with their lines of codes for recreational purposes. If I'm able to make
work properly GRASS on a Win platform and if it's easy to use, it might be
the most versatile GIS software for us as hobbyists.

@ Paul : The fact I need to install MinGW isn't a big issue if it's not too
complicated and if it works. It's just that there're a lot of pages of
documentation and sometimes, like in this case, the explanations aren't very
clear for a new comer.

Eric