[GRASS-user] Re: Wingrass and AVG

Niels Thevs nt001582 at uni-greifswald.de
Wed Mar 12 05:50:20 EDT 2008

Dear Maris, dear Damiel,

first of all mz thanks to the developers who developed GRASS for
Windows. After some zears working with ERDAS I did a small project with
GRASS and it worked out verz fine.

Regarding the Anti Virus software, a month ago we made a worshop with 15
students and worked with WINGRASS. Some things did not work properly,
but the computers differed in their bugs. Could the reason be Antivirus
software ? Are their experiences, which AV software influences GRASS
more and which influences it less ? Would it help just to deinstall the
AV software ?

Best regards

Niels

Maris Nartiss schrieb:

> Hi Daniel,
> it's a known issue with antivirus programs under MS-Windows. There's
> nothing GRASS developers can do about this until MS-Windows gets fixed
> (determining file type by content and not by it's extension) but such
> change will not happen in nearest future (~100 years or more).
> Only solution - add GRASS files to whitelist.
>
> You can find more information in GRASS user/developer mailing list archives.
>
> Maris.
>
> 2008/3/11, Daniel Victoria <daniel.victoria at gmail.com>:
>
>>Just as a complement, the file that AVG complains about a hidden
>>extension is r.out.mpeg.exe
>>
>>cheers
>>Daniel
>>
>>On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Daniel Victoria
>><daniel.victoria at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>> First of all, great job with native WinGrass!! As much as I love the
>>> linux version, I had to install the windows version on a friends
>>> computer and it's working great! Even NVIZ works! Impressive!!!
>>>
>>> Had a little trouble in the begining because I forgot to install tcl
>>> but that was fixed pretty fast..
>>>
>>> Just a little warning though. When I was installing my AVG Anti-virus
>>> screamed that a file (can't recall which - forgot to write down) had a
>>> hidden .exe extension and AVG said that could be a virus! I know it's
>>> not the case but it gave my friend a big scare.
>>>
>>> Cheers and keep up the good work
>>> Daniel

Dr. Niels Thevs
Chair of Geobotany and Landscape Ecology
Institute of Botany and Landscape Ecology
Greifswald University
Grimmer Strasse 88
17487 Greifswald
Germany