[GRASS-windows] Re: [GRASS-user] Xming as X server for winGRASS?

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 19:05:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Luigi Ponti wrote:

[...]
> This works fine in my Cygwin/grass6.2.2 installation, although the
> GRASS_PNG_READ variable does not seem to be available in grass6.2
> http://grass.ibiblio.org/gdp/html_grass62/pngdriver.html so the overlay thing
> suggested by Paul wouldn't work.

In that case you might be able to use the g.pnmcomp module to compose the
different PNG files together into one image.

> Trying the same with native winGRSSS 6.3.0 RC5 is less of a success: (1) no
> way to set environment variables via the GUI Output - GIS.m window; (2) not
> able to start GRASS via cmd.exe as suggested at
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WinGRASS_Current_Status
>
> by typing the following at the cmd.exe prompt:
>
>   C:\grass63RC5\bin\grass63.bat -text
>
> I get the output below:
>
>   Welcome to GRASS 6.3.0RC5 (2008)
>
>   GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.itc.it/
>   This version running thru:               Windows Command Shell (cmd.exe)
>   When ready to quit enter:                exit
>   Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
>   See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
>
>   "cmd.exe" non è riconosciuto come comando interno o esterno,
>    un programma eseguibile o un file batch.
>
> (the Italian error message would sound more or less like: "cmd.exe" is not
> recognized as an internal or external command, an executable program or a
> batch file.)

That's very strange. Is it possible you have accidentally modified your
PATH environment variable so that it no longer contains the path to
cmd.exe? What does
echo %PATH%
say? (Run straight after you get the error message above).

Also, in case its useful information, did you compile yourself or which
binary version did you use (download location?)

Paul