[GRASS-windows] Re: [GRASS-user] Xming as X server for winGRASS?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 13 19:21:37 EDT 2008

Luigi Ponti wrote:

> Trying the same with native winGRSSS 6.3.0 RC5 is less of a success: (1)
> no way to set environment variables via the GUI Output - GIS.m window;
> (2) not able to start GRASS via cmd.exe as suggested at
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WinGRASS_Current_Status
>
> by typing the following at the cmd.exe prompt:
>
>     C:\grass63RC5\bin\grass63.bat -text
>
> I get the output below:
>
>     Welcome to GRASS 6.3.0RC5 (2008)
>
>     GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.itc.it/
>     This version running thru:               Windows Command Shell (cmd.exe)
>     When ready to quit enter:                exit
>     Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
>     See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
>
>     "cmd.exe" non è riconosciuto come comando interno o esterno,
>      un programma eseguibile o un file batch.
>
> (the Italian error message would sound more or less like: "cmd.exe" is
> not recognized as an internal or external command, an executable program
> or a batch file.)

Which version of Windows are you using?

With the DOS-based versions (95/98/ME), the shell is called
command.com rather than cmd.exe (as is the case on NT/2K/XP).

You could try changing references to cmd.exe in init.bat to %COMSPEC%.
But I think that some of the C code also contains explicit references
to cmd.exe.

Other than the cmd.exe issue, I'm not aware of any other reason why
GRASS wouldn't run on 95/98/ME.