[GRASS-windows] Re: [GRASS-user] Xming as X server for winGRASS?

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 06:24:54 EDT 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Luigi Ponti wrote:

[...]
>> That's very strange. Is it possible you have accidentally modified your
>> PATH environment variable so that it no longer contains the path to
>> cmd.exe? What does
>> echo %PATH%
>> say? (Run straight after you get the error message above).
>>
>> Also, in case its useful information, did you compile yourself or which
>> binary version did you use (download location?)
>>
>> Paul
> Paul:
> echo %PATH% says:
>
>   C:\msys\1.0\bin;C:\Perl\bin;

I think that's the problem then. You need to *add* those directories to
the PATH, not *replace* the PATH with them. The correct command should
probably be something like
set PATH=C:\msys\1.0\bin;C:\Perl\bin;%PATH%

> which I have set in the grass63.bat file. When I type cmd.exe at the command
> prompt or just put only 'cmd.exe' inside a cmd.bat file, the Windows Shell
> starts fine. Even adding '%windir%\system32\cmd.exe' to PATH environmental
> variable leaves the error message unchanged.

PATH should contain only directories; directly adding the path to a file
(cmd.exe in your example) won't work. Adding %windir%\system32 might work.

I'm not sure on the problem with the PNG driver.

Paul