[GRASS-user] modify feature's values interactively

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Mar 27 05:18:22 EDT 2008

On 26/03/08 19:46, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2008/3/26, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>:
>>  >> is it possible within GRASS to modify feature's values (of the feature
>>  >> attribute table) interactively (e.g. like in ArcGIS, where I can select an
>>  >> object within the view which then can be modified/removed...)?
>>  >
>>  > you mean to modify attribute data of vector objects? If so, yes, you
>>  > can use v.digit or digitizer in wxPython GUI (experimental).
>>

> Moritz:
>> IMHO there should be a solution outside of the digitizer (i.e. without
>>  risking any alteration of the actual map), something along the lines of
>>  "d.what.vect -e".
>>
>>  Christian, if this is what you need, you will have to use it with the
>>  "old-style" x-monitors from the command line, i.e.:
>>
>>  d.mon x0
>>  d.vect YourMap
>>  d.what.vect -e YourMap
>>
>>  This is typically one element which would be GUI-only as I don't think
>>  it would make much sense to program an interactive command line version...
>>
>>  So maybe something to think about for wxgrass.
>
> hm, it wouldn't be so difficult to implement, sorry, back to the
> reality;-) Basic implementation is here
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/30745
>
> see
>
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/Image:Wxgui-vector-querying-gnulinux.png

Cool !

However, I just can't get it to work:

I have

GRASS 6.3.svn (spearfish60):~ > v.db.connect -p roads
Vector map <roads at PERMANENT> is connected by:
layer <1> table <roads> in database
</home/mlennert/GRASS/DATA/spearfish60/PERMANENT/dbf/> through driver
<dbf> with key <cat>

Querying in display mode works as expected:

East: 596271.961722
North: 4924483.851675

Map: roads
Mapset: PERMANENT
Type: Line
Line: 51
Longueur: 1416.211362
couche: 1
catégorie: 3

Driver: dbf
Database: /home/mlennert/GRASS/DATA/spearfish60/PERMANENT/dbf/
Table: roads
Key column: cat
cat : 3
label : secondary highway, hard surface

But when I try to query it in edit mode, I get:

"No database record available"

Also: probably the button's properties should be changed so that you can
click on it again directly to change from one mode to the other.
Currently you have to click on another button and then back on the query
button to change mode.

Moritz