[GRASS-user] a beginners question

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Mar 29 20:26:31 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 16:20 -0700, Gazz1982 wrote:
> I have just been converted to Linux after struggling with cgywin!
>
> How do I install a new grass module, in this case I have the file
> r.horizon2.tar.gz on my desktop and my $GISBASE is /usr/lib/grass

(You might need to be superuser/root to do "make install" in the end)

In general it must be something like:
1. copy "add-on" directory to /where/your/grass/source/is under the
respective generic module category

e.g. for i.pr it would be:

 cp -r i.pr /where/your/grass/source/is/imagery/

2. configure grass

cd /where/your/source/is/

./configure #with your parameters

3. go to the "add-on" directory and "make it"

e.g.

cd /imagery/i.pr

make

4. back to grass source directory

make install

> I've done this before but I can't remember the commands and where everything
> should go
>
> Thanks

Hope this helps (as it helped me once when somebody told me how make it)

Cheers,

Nikos