[GRASS-user] Re: Problem with creating layer 2 data

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sun May 25 05:43:44 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 22:28, J. Brian Adams wrote:
> As a followup, when I created the second layer I used
>
> v.db.connect  map=baseMap driver=sqlite table=CountyData key=FIPS
> layer=2

This does not create a second layer, it connects a table to the second
layer. To create a second layer you need to use v.category.

See also
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Vector_Database_Management#Concepts_and_jargon

We could really use some more extended documentation about layer
management...and some more tools, such as the possibility to apply the
cats of one layer to another. See
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2008-March/044181.html (point
3) for a work-around.

Moritz