[GRASS-user] GUI equivalent of command

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed May 28 00:17:41 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 08:58 +0530, H.S.Rai wrote:
> Is there any reference, where I can find GUI based equivalent of
> commands, as I want to introduce GRASS to beginners (avoiding command
> terminal to make them comfortable, to start with), like how to
> activate "r.report" with mouse.
>
> If there is such information, then I can use that, otherwise I will
> produce it and share with all.

(I am writing as if I would try to explain to somebody who touches GRASS
for the first time - Excuse me for being rude ;-)

1. While you move the mouse-pointer over the menus in the GIS-Manager,
the "real" name of each module is displayed on the bottom of the window

2. For each module there is (or should be) a GUI. On the bottom of it
you can see the actual command that will be executed. It is a good
practise to "watch" the changes of the command while changing options,
names, flags or whatever in a modules GUI.

Take for example r.report:

In the GIS-Manager: Raster > Reports and statistics > Sum area by map
and category

(watch "real" name of pointed menu line on the bottom: r.report)

Now in the "r.report" GUI: Play around with flags, buttons etc and watch
the command syntax changing on the bottom. After executing a command
with the GUI one can repeat the same command by using the copy button on
the bottom left corner: copy the command and paste it in GRASS' shell,
execute.

GRASS is an excellent learning tool.

Cheers,

Nikos