[GRASS-user] smoothing contours

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Oct 1 14:33:03 EDT 2008

Alberto Pettazzi wrote:

> I have a pressure field and I want to plot contour lines. I did it by
> the command r.contour, but I would like to have smoother contour lines
> (see attached file). Any suggestion?

Is your region resolution far higher than than the actual raster
resolution? If that's the case, r.contour will assume that your data
actually consists of many rectangular plateaus separated by cliffs,
and will generate contours accordingly.

Either reduce the region resolution to match the raster resolution
(g.region rast=), or resample the raster with some form of
interpolation (e.g. r.resamp.interp, r.resamp.rst) or filtering (e.g.
r.mfilter.fp).