[GRASS-user] importing L1G-data into GRASS

Niels Thevs thevs at uni-greifswald.de
Mon Oct 6 03:34:03 EDT 2008

Dear Irene,

when you display one channel in GRASS, it is displayed by default with a
color scheme ranging form green to yellow or blue to red. Under Raster
-> Manage Map Color you can change this.

Regarding the import of Landsat images I prefer the following way,
though not purely with open source software: Import your image with
ERDAS and save it as img-file. img is a rather wide spread satellite
image data format, which can be read inmediately by ERDAS, ENFI, ARC GIS
etc. And, img.-files can be imported without any problems into GRASS.
You even can build your location with a few clicks using an img file.

I guess that in Potsdam there is an ERDAS Licence somewhere.

Best regards

Niels

rosa schrieb:

> hello,
>
> i'm new on this list since yesterday.
> some postgraduates are trying to introduce GRASS in our university and so I'm
> writing one of the first thesis' with GRASS. Unfortunately nobody here knows
> the program really well.
>
> I bought a landsat scene, recieved it in hdf.L1G-format and have problems
> importing landsat the hdf.L1G-data into GRASS. r.in.bin does
> somehow work, but the channels it imports are severely damaged. instead of
> having the normal black/white picture, the chanels are only green and yellow
> and it's not possible to combine them, f.e. with r.composite.
>
> does anybody know the problem?
>
> warm regards from potsdam, germany
>
>                                 irene

Dr. Niels Thevs
Chair of Geobotany and Landscape Ecology
Institute of Botany and Landscape Ecology
Greifswald University
Grimmer Strasse 88
17487 Greifswald
Germany