[GRASS-user] Runing grass inside Msys console

Marco Pasetti marcopstt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 03:39:53 EDT 2008

Daniel,

> I just installed WinGrass (great job by the way) but in order to run
> GRASS inside the MSYS console I have to explicitly go to the directory
> were grass63 is at. IOW, the grass63 startup script is not in the path
> environment. Is it possible to put the startup script in the path
> environment, along with other utilities like gdalinfo?

Normally, if you launch the GRASS MSYS Console command from the Start->GRASS
menu, you will automatically open a MSYS session "ready" to start GRASS with
the paths set to all the needed utilities. This said, the installer has a
bug (already fixed in trunk, but not still "built" with a new a binary
release), that sometimes makes it fail to correctly define the username on
XP machines: that implies that the grass63 script is not put in the folder
where it should be (that is .\GRASS\msys\home\"YOUR_USERNAME").

Please, check if you have the grass63 script and the .grassrc6 file in
.\GRASS\msys\home\"YOUR_USERNAME"; if not, look for them in
.\GRASS\msys\home (and subfolders) and move them to
.\GRASS\msys\home\"YOUR_USERNAME".

Regards,

Marco