[GRASS-user] for looping using attribute levels of a vector

Milton Cezar Ribeiro miltinho.astronauta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:08:53 EDT 2008

Dear R-gurus,

I have a vector file which have several attributes.
One of the columns have values that repeat like
the name of city. So, I would like to do some
steps for each level of the column of interest.

Just supose that I have CityA, CityB, CityC

I would like to use this strings on a for loop.

Following suggestions by Hamish, I addapted the
following temptative code:

for MAP in `v.db.select map=mymap column=city` ; do
  echo my steps...
done

But when the first entry on the looping is the name
of the field (City), and when the city have white
space like "Los Angeles", each word are used
as different entry of MAP variable of the "for" looping.

My questions are:
1. How can I bypass the problem of "v.db.select" return
the name of column as first entry
2. How can I bypass the problem of white space for
city names?

Best wishes

miltinho astronauta
brazil